27 June 2010

"Hats" Exhibition











Late last week I went to the Hats Exhibition at the Art Gallery in Brisbane. It featured hats from different eras, dating back to the 19th century. They are works of art. Some famous hats were also featured including one worn by Camilla Parker-Bowles for her wedding to Prince Charles. There were also old movies shown of hats worn in the 1940s and 1950s. The movies also showed how the hats were made. Once upon a time a woman wouldn't leave the house without wearing a hat. They really "topped off" an outfit and were very stylish. Nowadays they are rarely seen outside the racecourse. At the exit to the exhibition there was a Hat Salon with a number of hats and books for sale. I enjoyed watching women trying on different hats. Their prices were reduced as the Exhibition closes today. Also, this was my first outing "on my own". I went around the exhibition and then had lunch in the Gallery's cafe. It was a very enjoyable day out.

No comments: