12 January 2008

Muriel Bath

I've completed my oral history project on Muriel Bath which you can see on my web site. She is a remarkable spritely 99 year old womanwho has had an incredibly interesting life. She was an officer in the WRANS during World War II and then was one of the first policewomen working in Queensland. She wasn't sure she would last, as she tells in the video clip. This was an era when there was a place for "style". Muriel wore hat and gloves (not a uniform) to work. In 1948 when she married, it was a race against time to have the ceremony over before 8.00 pm (after which it was illegal to marry), as the wedding cars didn't arrive. Muriel is a treasure-house of wonderful stories and I wish her good health so that she makes it to her 100th birthday later in the year. I feel privileged to have met her.

No comments: